Friday, September 18, 2009

The best laid plans...


Well, I had every intention of posting regularly and tell you my experiences at the Paint-In Alberta (PIA) Convention in Edmonton. However, time and TIREDness got in the way, lol.

What was I thinking?!

I'll try to encapsulate my week.

Some scrapbook industry techniques are making there way into our Decorative Painting. Hey, why fight it, lol? Willow has long incorporated some scrapbook papers and stencilling/stamping into her pieces. Now we find Glimmer Mists and Glimmer Screens and seed beads (yes... I said SEED BEADS) appearing in some of the Artist's designs. Tracy Moreau is using glass stains and seed beads. Yes, I "had" to pick up a couple of these supplies and the packet to go along with them. Can't wait to try the technique and "show n' tell" at my guild.

This was a very small show. Probably only a couple hundred registrants. There was only about a dozen booths. Cozy. Divine's Designs (Diane Bunker was in this booth); Getsons Woodworking from Nova Scotia; Hearts Delight (Lorraine Fletcher, owner - Doxie Keller shared this booth); Heather Redick; Holly Hanley; Multi-Art/Scharff Brushes (where you could also find Moe Shier and Tracy Moreau); Paint for Joy; Shorthorn Arts Studio (Diana Steer - oils); Adrienne Weightman (Scratch Art); Gladys Neilsen; Wendy Fahey; and Willow Wolfe. A few artists shared booth space with some of the Exhibitors.

Gladys Neilsen brought along a beautiful canvas banner that was circulated so that we might write our "best wishes" on it to Joan Dixon who is currently battling cancer.

There was a demo area that ran daily with demos on the hour and Cash & Carry Classes on Saturday.

The girls who run C2C Events did a great job organizing and keeping things running smoothly.

The catalog for the Coast to Coast Convention in Mississauga (April 28-May 2, 2010) was released at the PIA show and garnered a lot of interest. I imagine I'll be "working the show" so won't have a lot of time to take in any classes, but ya never know .

It was busy and fun running the booth for Willow and I look forward to doing it again and again and again... I really enjoy getting to the conventions and schmoozing even if it's hard work setting-up and taking-down a booth (inventorying - ARGH!). Maybe I can even occasionally go a couple days ahead of a show and check out a few sites. Ya neva know. I love Willow and her art and don't have the slightest hesitation recommending her as a knowledgeable and friendly teacher. And I'm really excited with the new Princeton Art Brushes she has had a hand in designing. The price-point is bang on and they are real workhorses and a bargain for our industry. Debbie Cotton, Donna Scully, Lydia Steeves and Holly Hanley have also been using these brushes and are promoting them in their classes. I heard a lot of really positive feedback from attendees at the show.

Sunday afternoon was a blur of inventorying and packing up followed by a relaxing meal at Earl's (gosh I wish we had this chain restaurant around here - LOVE the warm potato salad and pan bread!) and a few drinks. I got to sleep in Monday morning and then wandered around Edmonton 'til the afternoon when I caught a shuttle to the airport and made my tired way home.

~ Shelley

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like you had a great time. I love the shows no matter how big or small they are. I could spend hours just wandering around the sales floor, I always find something I missed the first time around. Hope you will post some of the paintings you did soon.

    ReplyDelete